Saturday, December 31, 2011

The night of 31st December...

The night of 31st December will always be important.

The year was 2008 and the date was 31st of December.
IT WAS MIDNIHGT, JUST LIKE IT IS NOW.
For more than seven hours nonstop, I discussed the challenges, downsides, merits and consequences of organised farming & my getting into it, with my wife.

My daughter was 90 days old that day.

Finally, at dawn, it was decided that I will quit my career built over so many years, move to a different city, live alone, away from my family, in some unknown village, without a bed and a bathroom & begin giving shape to a dream I always dreamt - organised farming. My wife promised to take up the responsibility of managing the child and the home alone.

Deep down, I was always a cowboy; I cherished the vision of a million plants out of the toughest land, against extreme challenges and making a real life out of it; the missing pieces were the farm, the horse, the barn & the hay.

Finally, with everything dicussed, it was time; time to ride out into the R-E-A-L unknown, leaving behind everything I had & build a new world altogether.

Since that night, a lot has happened.

A lot has changed. I have changed so much as a person; I have learnt so much in the process and most importantly, today we have a dream coming together step by small step.

Tonight is the same night; the year is different but the date is not. When I think of that night three years ago, I feel a funny feeling - almost a sense of ennui.

Emptyness.

That is what that night did to me. I emptied myself of everything I had and began afresh.

I wish you the same in 2012, where you empty your baggage of the past & begin afresh!

Wish you a wonderful new year! Cheers!!!!

1 comment:

Journey of Bhoomi Crop

Journey of Bhoomi Crop
Bhoomi Crop is the first limited liability organised farming and distribution company in Bengal. Four CXO level friends put this together. We have no formal training in the art and science of farming and everyday, I, Kaushik Mukherji, learn a new lesson at the farm. Illiterate farmers in the villages, the closeby IIT (Kharagpur) are my teachers and supporters. We are extremely bullish on this business opportunity, which is already making a social difference too.